Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Wild Birds Art Quilt



Wild Birds Art Quilt


This small art quilt was inspired by lyrics to a song by Jan Harmon; I sing a lot of folk music with my similarly-inclined friends, and this was a song I have always loved, especially when sung by my dear friend Jo Houghton. The chorus, part of which is the words on the front of the quilt, is:


"They're all dressed up in feathers with colors outrageous,
They soar from this earthly-bound kingdom of cages
On delicate wings, so small and courageous,
Thank heaven for wild birds."


I started it last fall, when the rich autumn golds and oranges and purples were all around me. I used my own hand-dyed fabrics, commercial fabrics, rubber stamps on painted watercolor paper (the birds) and fabric (the lettering), and beads. Instead of using the more traditional batting, I fused front & back on to Fast-2-Fuse (a stiff, heavy fusibile Timtex, the stuff the bills of ball caps are made with); this allowed the machine quilting to be purely decorative & free of the necessity to hold all the layers together evenly.


I admit it - I did get carried away a bit on the back! The frame around the "label" portion is a digital copy of a paper-and-scissors collage frame that I made 3 years ago as part of my daughter's wedding quilt - I'm quite fond of it, apparently.
Sadly, it was not accepted into this year's Small Art Quilts show at Main Street Gallery in Groton, NY. This was my first submission to a juried show, though, so I'm not too discouraged. And who knows, it may be accepted into another show - or I may just hang it in my living room, where I can see it every day!

2 comments:

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Cathy - I saw your post on QuiltArt and thought I'd check out your blog. The "Wild Birds" quilt is super - love the concept and the execution. Thanks for sharing your blog address on the QA list - I worked up the nerve to enter IQA but can't quite bring myself to post my blog address!

Roberta Ranney
in Southwest Missouri

Cathy Bargar said...

Thanks, Roberta! I know, it's scary to post links to your work, what with all the Rock Stars of the art quilt world on the QuiltArt list! C'mon, show us! And I'll try to share more of my stuff - trouble is, most of mine is given away before I remember to photograph it.